We have found an error in our processing script that delayed charges from Jan 24th and up. This has been fixed and as a result created a backlog that is getting processed. This will show charges all as being done on Feb 8th. We have sent a silent SLA credit to all sites running to say sorry for any problems this may have caused.
Last night and into this morning we had an error that was reported by a user unable to reach sites on N11. When we look into it we found a bad IP range was added to the firewall blacklist but did not actually get blocked and made requests not work for some users. This has been fixed as of 8:54 AM.